During the year the Committee:
- evaluated ESG strategies of peer group companies to help inform our thinking;
- adopted a new ESG strategy (see below);
- researched and evaluated candidates for a 'North Star' sustainability objective;
- set the parameters for an environmental audit and appointed Trucost to establish the baseline for Science Based Targets towards the goal of achieving carbon neutrality by 2050;
- evaluated plastic and other waste recycling programmes;
- reviewed our bike recycling partner;
- reviewed partnerships and charity support in light of new ESG strategy; and
- appointed colleague representatives to the Committee.
Further information on ESG around the Group, including environmental details on emissions, can be found in Our ESG Strategy of the Strategic Report.
Developing the ESG Strategy
The ESG Strategy has been developed to align with the three strategic pillars of the Company's Strategy, these being; Inspire, Support and Lifetime.
In FY21 we will publish Science Based Targets for reductions in our Scope 1, 2 and 3 emissions and make further progress on recycling and plastic-use reduction. We also plan to initiate a campaign to help consumers make the switch to electric, this will involve further investment in products and services, the roll-out of consumer education programmes, and lobbying the Government on E-scooter legalisation.
Chair of the ESG Committee
6 July 2020